Sigma SE HF-360 Vertical.

Discussion in 'Radio Propagation Questions' started by Rob GD4VBA, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Rob GD4VBA

Rob GD4VBA New Member

Hi All, Has anyone got a Sigma SE HF-360 Vertical aerial? if so how does it perform?. I have limit space at the new QTH and have room for one of these, but I think it may just be a 'Dummy load' type aerial and would like to know if anyone has any experience of them. 73, Rob GD4VBA
  2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Rob all this antenna is is a 17ft vertical fed with a 9:1 unun at the base, it will work reasonably well on the higher bands 20m and up, but if you need to go this way then a cheap fiberglass fishing pole with a 17ft wire and a 9:1 unun at the base is all you need, this is all it is, and will be a whole lot cheaper.

Ken
    G3SDW
  3. Ian M6JQD

Ian M6JQD New Member

Can anyone shed any light on this antenna. I am not wanting to know what I can use instead or what it really is, however I would like to know how it compares to to other HF antennas say the G5rv on 40m.

Thanks

Ian,
    M6JQD
  4. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Its a compromise antenna and will work better on the upper HF bands as opposed to the lower ones like 40m.

If you use a G5RV then as long as you orientate it, like the feeder being totally vertical, this being due to the fact that the feeder is part of the radiating element then it will work ok on 40m.

If you look at my post above then you will see what the Sigma really is but if i were you then using the same dimensions of multiples of 7.1 meters then you could use it as an inverted "L" and then you would have all band capability.

Any other questions then by all means email me on keng3sdw@gmail.com
  5. Rob GD4VBA

Rob GD4VBA New Member

Hi Ian, Rob GD4VBA here, as above I asked the same question, and then took Kens advice and made one with a fibre-glass roach pole and used WF100 satellite coax as the radiator up the centre of the pole, and made a 9:1 UNUN, it works brilliantly and is resonant with the UNUN from 33Mhz. down to around 8Mhz. The Rigs auto ATU takes care of 40 metres very well, and I am delighted with its performance. I only use BPSK digi-modes as I am now quite deaf, but my best contact in the last year or so since I made it, is the Falkland Islands with 50 watts!. so it does the job but you will need a good earth, I am lucky, their is a stream at the bottom of my garden so it is earthed in wet ground. total cost around £22!!. If you want any advice on construction, I am on QRZ.com so e-mail me. 73, Rob GD4VBA.
  6. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Hi Bob and Ian, glad that you Bob had a go and made this simple vertical antenna.
    The Signa is no more that what you have made and at a very small fraction of the price.
    Ian give it a go, you will get a great buzz by making it and then having your first contact, this is what amateur radio is all about and I don't mean saving money lol.
    Like Bob has said contact either Bob or myself and either of us will talk you throuthrough making this very simple but efficient antenna.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  7. Ian M6JQD

Ian M6JQD New Member

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I am still undecided on what to even get. My wife is very anti a very long pole stuck on the roof for all to see. I might get away with a half size G5RV wrapped around the soffit stood off by about 8". The problem is with this ladder line, which I understand is part of the radiating element and cannot be shortened. Does anyone know how long it actually is ? as it could well come down the side of the house (stood off the wall) and do a 90o bend and then travel horizontally across the back wall to my bedroom shack. If this ladder line is too long that will put paid to that plan, and I will have to do some more begging, or stick the vertical above the roof and hope she does not see it - lol.

Many Thanks

Ian.
    M6JQD - (and learning)
  8. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Not a good idea Ian it will give you more problems and you do not want that.
    Half size is not a G5RV anyway so try to use some sort of vertical at the bottom of the garden the idea we talked about does not have to be very talk.
    Email me direct and I will show you the one I have and you will see what I am on about .
    Ken
    G3SDW
  9. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Now that i am back at home i can explain more.

A full size G5RV is 102ft long, fed with ladder line of 35ft which is connected to a length of 50ohm coax and then into the radio.

The so called half size is half of those dimensions.

All this this as i have said before must but i the air, horizontal with the ladder line vertical, so from that you will see that the center of the so called half size must be at least 17.5ft off of the ground.

Wrapping it around in the way that you have explained will not make it very efficient which in your case having a foundation ticket running 10 watts will not work very much at all.

Power is not everything but an efficient antenna is.

The pole has not got to be on the roof at all as you seem to think, i live in a small bungalow and feed my antenna at the bottom of my small garden, vertical section only being 15ft with the horizontal wire going up and over the roof finishing on the front plastic gutter.

It works very well even on low power as long as you get the dimensions right in the first place.

Look forward to hearing from you.
  10. Ian M6JQD

Ian M6JQD New Member

Hi Ken,

Without the ladder line length I was just guessing that I would have to angle the ladder line, but if the ladder line is only 15ft long I can have it vertical no problems. This is the antenna wire I am looking at :- http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/g5rv-half-size-antenna-with-polyweave-n94ce

The pro's as I see them are
    1) Hard to see from the roadside.
    2) Cheap

The cons as I see it
    1) Only does 40-10m
    2) More difficult to install.

All antennas must be fixed to the house in my case, so unless the HF-360 can be mounted down the side of the house about 8" off the brickwork then it will have to be above the roof - and then we get in to angry wife problems. Whatever I do its going to have to be a compromise, the only think I know for sure is that there can be no down the garden antennas.

Regards

Ian.
  11. Ian M6JQD

Ian M6JQD New Member

Obviously I meant thing - not think, no idea why it did that, and even more less knowing how to edit my post. :)
  12. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Ian, at the bottom of your post is an edit tab,

Well it seems as though you are left with no alternative but to go for your fist thought the Sigma, bit of an expensive way to get on HF but thats your choice.

Think now you have achieved you Foundation licence you need to have a strong word with her indoors lol

Did you not consider what HF was all about when you decided to sit the exam?
    Edit​
    Delete​
    Spam​
    IP​
    Warn​
    Repor​

Edit​
    Delete​
    Spam​
    IP​
    Warn​
    Repor​

Edit​
    Delete​
    Spam​
    IP​
    Warn​
    Repor​
  13. Ian M6JQD

Ian M6JQD New Member

There is no edit on any of my posts, the only edit buttons I see is on your post (the last one) and it tells me I don't have the permissions to edit. Not to worry though..
    For me taking the exam was not about using any particular frequency or mode, the closest I got to HF is when you take the practical exam, at the time I only had a 2m - 70cm walkie talkie so it was only when I got my first rig - an FT-897D that I thought about working the HF bands.

The way I look at it, I have to work with what I have got. I will build the best station I can, with the limitations imposed upon me by both my family and my type of house and garden. Its does not need to be broadcasting house for me to get something out of it. I am just having a go thats all.

For the price of the Half Size GR5rv I may as well give to a try, I have nothing to lose really as its not expensive, the Sigma is not that expensive either, but it is more of an eyesore. If The GR5vr is a failure I guess I will go the HF-30 route, if nothing else it will keep the wife happy that I tried an alternative first.

Regars

Ian
  14. Ian M6JQD

Ian M6JQD New Member

This is what my screes looks like.

Attached Files:

15. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

OK Ian, your approach is the correct one and by doing it this way will gain experience and at the end of the day is what amateur radio is all about.
    I am always here and in fact only a couple of miles away, Annesley Notts,
    You have my email so shout if you are not sure of something.
    Ken
    G3SDW
  16. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Yes it must be moderators rights.
    Ken
  17. Ian M6JQD

Ian M6JQD New Member

Thanks Ken - your a star :)