How to submit a interfence report to Ofcom help needed

Discussion in 'EMC Matters' started by G0SZI, Feb 21, 2019.

  1. G0SZI

    G0SZI New Member

    Hi all

    Today after reaching the end of my Tether I telephoned Ofcom.

    I have s9+ of noise between Topband and 40mtrs and less on higher bands but still there. The noise is not eminating from within my property.

    Here's the catch Ofcom said they want two or three spot frequencies where I have not been able to complete a contact where I otherwise would have been able to.

    IF I cant here a bloody thing how am I to even initiate a contact with stations I cant hear or say whether I would have been able in the first place. I dare not transmit half the time as I am unable to tell whether a frequency is in use unless the signals are above the noise.

    Ofcom suggested I talk to some local amateurs where I have not been able to make contact where I otherwise would. How stupid when the people I have a regular contact with are all S9 Plus on a morning topband net and are all within 5 miles lol.

    How should I move forward.

  2. Ken G3SDW

    Ken G3SDW Moderator

    Danny first of all you must turn off your mains supply and check to see if the problem is still there
    If you don't and If I'm find it is coming from your own home then they will give you a hefty bill, this is of course assuming you have done this already.
    Dealing with Ofcom is not easy but if they ask you to jump through hoops then do So, if not they will close the case.
    What you did do wrong was to phone them, not a good idea as you should have filled there online form as you can tell them much more about your problem.
    One other thing you have done is to suffer in silence, we are here to help at all times as we appreciate members frustration when they cannot use there kit.
    Get back to Ofcom and give them what they want if not they will not help you, don't knock it just do it.
  3. Ken G3SDW

    Ken G3SDW Moderator

    Just reading your post a bit more closely and see that you say it's not your own property, can you confirm how you achieved this please.
  4. G0SZI

    G0SZI New Member

    Hi Ken and Thankyou for answering my post.

    I have already checked the noise is not from within myy property by using the Radio on a Battery with the mains supply switched off. I phoned Ofcom but they have not the faintest Idea who I am as my question was framed in a general form how I should submit a report. They did not grasp the fact that the situation is so bad that my use of the radio is limited so much as I cant hear anything. They said they would not investigate for a raised noise floor, and interference must be classed as harmfull ie'
    it degrades, obstructs or repeatedly interrupts anything which is being broadcast or otherwise transmitted by means of wireless telegraphy and in accordance with a wireless telegraphy licence, or a grant of recognised spectrum access or otherwise lawfully.

    How can it interrup something I cant establish ??

  5. Ken G3SDW

    Ken G3SDW Moderator

  6. G0SZI

    G0SZI New Member

    Maybe I should have worded My Post Title differently. I know how but after having already read the link you provided prior to even writing my Post. It is the Construction of my report I have trouble with. Pehaps you have a Telephone number I could contact you on Ken as this is adding to my frustration.

  7. Ken G3SDW

    Ken G3SDW Moderator

    Hi Danny, there is no right way to send your report, you must not accuse in any way, you must not criticise in any way, you must not mention anything outside amateur bands.

    Tell them as it is and give them some idea about how it was before you had this RFI and then do the same now that it is there.

    Give them a description of your equipment and antennas and there location and what you normal operating is all about.

    For you to phone me then i will not be able to tell you anything different, the service we at the RSGB provide is a self help service with guidance from us, i cannot write it for you as you must do it in your own words.

    Let me know what you write before you send it off, you can send it to the RSGB Help Desk which i also run on

    Look forward to reading it and if it should need altering then i will advise on what to put.

Share This Page