AFDD - Arc Fault Detection Device

Discussion in 'EMC Matters' started by G4LNA, Jan 31, 2019.

1. G4LNA

G4LNA Member

I have just seen this interesting video on YouTube from an electrician demonstrating an AFDD, I know for the last five years these things have been a major problem in the USA where the local amateur radio operator has been knocking whole blocks of houses off line because of their susceptibility to RF. It is the Eaton devices that have been causing the problem, the same type the guy in the video is demonstrating.

It appears that these are now recommended for fitting in new installations, would it be possible for the RSGB EMC team to check on these to see how susceptible they are?

This is the thread on eHAM.

https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,96949.0.html
  2. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Can you show me were it says that these will be fitted in new homes here in the UK

Plus the liknk you have provided goes back to 2014 some 5 years ago.
  3. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

230 V countries[edit]
    In the UK the 2018 edition of the wiring regulations is the first edition to make any mention of arc fault devices, and indicate they may be installed if the design has an unusually high risk of fire from arc faults. The annexes relating to testing indicate than when AFDDs are installed, their correct operation must be verified before completion, but the method of testing is not described. This is in contrast to RCDs where a number of trip times at different fault current levels must be verified. [8] The German Wiring rules VDE 100, recommend AFDDs for high risk situations, and lists old peoples care homes, community centres and Kindergartens as examples.
  4. G4LNA

G4LNA Member

Correct, there's 51 pages of it, the latest post January 25, 2019, 03:04:55 PM, so the problem is still there.

Anyway, excuse me for asking a question.
  5. Ken G3SDW

Ken G3SDW Moderator

Ask away just that things in the US are different to over here, we will have to wait and see.